Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mock Tuna Salad

I have been craving tuna salad for a while now.  I was going to buy it, but then found random recipes here and there, and pulled what I like from each of them to come up with my own recipe. Here is how she goes:

Mock Tuna Salad

Tuna

1 c. Soaked almonds 
1c. Soaked sunflower seeds
2 tbsp. Tamari or soy sauce

Mayo

1 c. Cashews
2 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar or to taste
1/4 Lemon, everything but the peel and seeds
1 Minced clove of garlic
1/2 tsp. Salt
Water

Add Ins

1/2 Chopped onion
2 Chopped small celery stalks
2-3 Chopped small dill pickles
1 tbsp. Capers
Fresh Cracked Pepper

Soak almonds and sunflower seeds for 4 to 8 hours.  Pulse in a blender with tamari until it looks like dryish tuna.  I did the almonds and sunflower seeds separately and then combined them in a bowl.

Mix all the ingredients together for the mayo except the water.  Add water in a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.  The mayo tastes much better when it gets to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before use.  If you do not want to use this nut mayo recipe you can use this mayo I have posted with my mock chicken salad, or any vegan mayo you desire.

Combine 'tuna' and 'mayo' with choice of add ins and eat, eat, eat.  I like in on bread with lettuce, on rice cakes (as seen in the pics) or in a mock tuna roll.  I will be posting pictures of that sometime in the future.  Yet, if you want to try it out sooner, just grab some nori and line it with lettuce (can use rice), lay the tuna salad on the lettuce and roll like veggie sushi.  The way i like to make mine is by cutting the nori into four smaller squares, adding lettuce and roll into little cones.  This is great for party appetizers and the flavor is more fishy due to the nori.

Mmmm, I just remembered my momski used to make macaroni tuna salad.  I am going to have to try that the next time I whip this up.


13 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Yeah that sounds good! I LOVE your recipe so I will give it a try and let ya know what I think.
:)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

This is PERFECT!! Thank you for sharing this recipe, and the recipe for the mayo too!

VeganView said...

Ooooh what a unique way to make this. I always go the easy way with smashed tofu and veganaise haha. I will have to try out this recipe!

Anonymous said...

How coincidental--I just ate the chickpea version of mock tuna salad today for lunch! I've never tried a raw/soaked version, and yours sounds delectable. Next time! (And I LOVE the sound of your mayo--could probably eat that all on its own). ;)

Vegan_Noodle said...

I love how this recipe doesn't have any processed ingredients!! Looks eerily like the real thing too!

donesmoking said...

looks really good...i need to try this!

A.M. said...

It looks really good (and it has no seaweed in them, yay!).

I'm going to bookmark this!

Amy said...

Oh YUM! I've never had a vegan tuna salad because they're almost always made with tofu or chickpeas (and I can't eat either). This is perfect! I'll definitely be trying it soon now that the weather is getting hotter and hotter!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

the capers are an inspired addition!

...barbara... said...

thank you everyone...
i hope you do like it...
there is a lot of room for experimantation too...
i put pickles because that is how i remembered it when i was little, but the capers rock too :)

KZ said...

This looks so darn good! thanks for the recipe

x said...

This looks interesting, I don't actually get tuna cravings but I like that this is nut not soy based!

Virginie said...

I would have never imagined mocked tuna that way. Thanks a lot.